Continuing education requirements for tax return preparers
The 2022 tax preparer education content and registration application will be available mid-November 2021. If you're a tax preparer or facilitator, we'll notify you through your Individual Online Services account when they become available.
Who must complete requirements
If you meet New York State’s definition of a commercial tax return preparer, you have New York State continuing education requirements. These requirements may not be satisfied with either CPE or CLE credits. You can see Who is a tax return preparer or facilitator to determine whether you meet the state’s definition.
What your requirements are
You must complete free online continuing education courses.
Note: IRS continuing education courses for tax preparers do not count toward your required New York State hours of coursework.
How to complete your requirements
You’ll need to complete your free online continuing education courses using the state’s online Statewide Learning Management System (SLMS).
SLMS is an external website, but you must access it through your Tax Department Individual Online Services account to enroll in and complete your courses. Simply:
- Log in to your Individual Online Services account.
- Select the ≡ Services menu from your Account Summary homepage.
- Select Tax preparer registration program, then choose Take required education from the expanded menu.
- On the Registration and Continuing Education Training Tax Return Preparers page, select SLMS.
- See How to use SLMS to learn how to complete the appropriate courses.
Remember—if you don’t meet the state’s definition of a commercial tax return preparer, you are not required to complete continuing education courses. However, if you would still like to complete the courses, you may sign up for the Optional Learning Course in the SLMS, which contains each class offered to commercial tax return preparers.
- Tax preparer registration
- Who is a tax return preparer or facilitator
- How to register as a tax return preparer or facilitator