Skip to main content

How to report your property tax credit

If you received a check for the School Tax Relief (STAR) credit, you do not need to do anything on your New York State income tax return, unless you itemize your deductions.

If you itemize your deductions, reduce your itemized deduction for real estate taxes paid by the total amount of any STAR credit received during the tax year; keep your check stub with your tax records.

To verify if you received a check for the STAR credit, use our Property Tax Credit Lookup