Skip to main content

Complaints about a licensed professional

The Tax Department's Office of Professional Responsibility does not have the authority to regulate the following licensed professionals:

  • Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) or their employees;
  • Public Accountants (PAs) or their employees;
  • IRS enrolled agents or their employees; and  
  • attorneys or their employees.

If you have a complaint about a tax professional who is not required to register with New York State, contact the appropriate licensing agency listed below:

New York Certified Public Accountant

New York Public Accountant

IRS Enrolled Agent

New York Attorney

File a complaint

If you're aware of a tax preparer who has or is engaged in illegal or improper conduct, file a tax preparer complaint. The Tax Department will review your complaint promptly and, where appropriate, take corrective action, which may include sanctions.