Skip to main content

Checklist for acceptable proof of wages and withholding

What you need to reply quickly and completely to your letter using our Respond to Department Notice online service:

  • a digital copy—scanned or uploaded from your phone—of the documentation below, and
  • an Individual Online Services account. (Log in or create an account.)
Documentation for proving your wages and withholding amounts
If you  then
checkbox image have W-2 forms, send a copy of all of the W-2 forms for each employer you worked for during the tax year in question. 
checkbox image do not have W-2 forms from an employer, send the last paycheck stub you received from that employer during the tax year in question.
checkbox image do not have the last paycheck stub, send at least one paycheck stub from any payroll period during the time you worked for that employer for the tax year in question.
checkbox image do not have W-2 forms or paycheck stubs, ask your employer to send us a letter—on company letterhead—stating all of the following for the tax year in question:
  • how much you earned;
  • how much tax the employer withheld from your pay;
  • the name and Social Security number (or other number) the employer used to withhold the tax and report your wages; and
  • the name, work address, and work phone number of the person responsible for the payroll.
checkbox image filed a joint return, you must also provide documentation showing the wage and withholding information claimed for your spouse.
checkbox claimed taxes were withheld from any other source of income, send us all of the following that apply for the tax year in question:
  • Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.;
  • Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income;
  • Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments; and
  • any other form or document to verify tax withheld.