Skip to main content

Review your tax account balance before you file

Remember, reporting the correct amount of estimated tax on your return reduces filing errors that can delay or reduce your refund.

Before you file your New York State income tax return, be sure to review your tax account balance in your Individual Online Services account to ensure you are reporting the correct amount on your return.

What is my tax account balance?

Your tax account balance is the total amount you paid throughout the year toward the tax on the income you made. Your balance includes:

  • any estimated tax payments made using software, from your online services account, or with Form IT-2105, Estimated Tax Payment Voucher for Individuals,
  • any overpayment from last year’s return that you asked us to apply to the following year, and
  • if you filed an extension, any payment made using software, from your online services account, or with Form IT-370, Application for Automatic Six-Month Extension of Time to File for Individuals.

Note: If your employer withheld taxes from your paycheck, that amount is shown on your pay stub and the W-2 you receive at the end of the year. The amount is not included in your tax account balance as shown on your Account Summary homepage. 

Where can I view my balance?

To review your tax account balance, use your Individual Online Services account with the Tax Department. Your account also gives you access to your tax-related information and activity.

Married filing a joint return? You will both need your own Online Services account to view each spouse’s separate tax account balance. When you file your joint return, report the total payments from both spouses' accounts.


  1. Log in to your Online Services account
  2. Scroll down to the Payments section.


What if I disagree with the amounts?

If you disagree with the estimated tax amounts shown, complete and submit Form IT-2105.1, Reconciliation of Estimated Tax Account for Individuals. We will review our records and reply to you in time for you to file your return, provided we receive your Form IT‑2105.1 by April 1.