Skip to main content

Make a payment

Thank you for your interest in making a payment. Your tax dollars support services and programs that benefit all New Yorkers.

Scroll below to view payment options, resolution and response options, and more.

If you want to receive future bills from the Tax Department online, the best way is to create an Online Services account and request electronic communications for Bills and Related Notices.

three teal credit or debit cards stacked

Payment Options

hand holding a bill

Pay a bill or notice

If you received a bill or notice and need to pay, you have options: use your Online Services account to pay directly from your bank account for free or by credit card for a fee.

Don’t have an Online Services account? Pay directly from your bank account for free using Quick Pay (individuals only).

Desk with a monitor on it that reads To do list Free File return, Schedule Return payment in Online Services

Pay personal income tax owed with your return

Pay income tax through Online Services, regardless of how you file your return. You can pay, or schedule a payment for, any day up to and including the due date.

If you apply for an extension of time to file and owe tax, you need to make your extension payment by the due date.

hand holding a tablet with the payment option selected I want to pay estimated tax

Make an estimated income tax payment

You can make an estimated income tax payment with an Individual or Fiduciary Online Services account. Pay directly from your bank account, or by credit card for a fee.

If you need to make an estimated tax payment for a partnership, see Partnership information.

Computer monitor with online services Services menu displayed, and the option selected is Pay an open audit case

Pay an open audit case

Before you receive a bill, you can make a payment toward the balance on an open audit case through your Online Services account. 

If you received a bill (assessment) for an audit case, do not use this online service. Instead, see Pay a bill or notice.

Resolution and response Options

Request an installment payment agreement (IPA)

If you can't pay your tax bills in full, request an IPA. If you qualify, you'll make monthly payments toward your unpaid balance.

Request an IPA

Disagree with a notice or bill

If you disagree with a notice or bill, you can respond online with an explanation and documentation.

Respond online

Learn about debt resolution

Do you have a past due bill? Learn about ways to resolve your balance, enforcement actions we may take to collect past-due balances, and your rights as a taxpayer.

Resolve your debt