Register as a sales tax vendor
- Kreyòl ayisyen
- Free interpretation
Every person who sells taxable tangible personal property or taxable services (even if you make sales from your home, are a temporary vendor, or only sell once a year) must register with the Tax Department through New York Business Express before beginning business. If you aren't sure whether you need to register for sales tax purposes, see Tax Bulletins Do I Need to Register for Sales Tax? (TB-ST-175) and Sales from Your Home (TB-ST-807).
Certain sellers of taxable property or services are subject to a presumption that they are sales tax vendors who are required to register and collect state and local sales taxes. See Presumption applicable to definition of sales tax vendor for more information.
If you must register to collect sales tax and need information about how to register, see Tax Bulletin How to Register for New York State Sales Tax (TB-ST-360).
What you will need
- NY.gov Business account
(If you have an Individual NY.gov account, you will still need to create a NY.gov Business account to access New York Business Express.)
- application checklist
- Form DTF-17.1, Business Contact and Responsible Person Questionnaire
- instructions for the application for a sales tax Certificate of Authority
- Save your username and password.
- If you forget your username, use the self-help link on the login screen to receive an email with your username (if your email contains multiple usernames, choose the first one).
- If you forget your password, use the self-help link.
- Add other services to your NY.gov Business account. You'll need a Tax Department Business Online Services account to file your sales tax returns online. Next time you log in to your NY.gov Business account, view the You can sign up for the following services section.
It’s easy to add the additional services you’ll need to do business with New York State, including Tax Online Services and Labor Online Service.
- Always print your confirmation page. You’ll get a confirmation page at the end of the process. Print it and keep it with your records.
- Watch for emails about the status of your application. We'll use the email you provided for your NY.gov Business account to communicate with you:
- after you submit your application,
- when your application needs attention, or
- when your application has been approved.
Emails regarding your application will be sent from email@example.com.